It was recently announced that Allstate Insurance Company has leased 66,000 square feet of office space at the Tempe Gateway building located at Mill Avenue and 3rd Street. Yep, right next to the Mill Avenue light rail station.
The Tempe Gateway building is 8 stories tall and has 260,000 square feet of Class A space about as close to a light rail station as you can get. While the new Allstate employees will have plenty of choices at nearby restaurants, shops and bars on Mill Avenue, their proximity to a light rail station is sure to get a few of them exploring other places along the line. For any Allstate employees that might not be familiar with our “city within cities” known as the light rail corridor, here are a few ideas to try once you decide to explore outside of the Mill Avenue District.
1. Catch a game: Like most people in AZ, you will probably be driving to work ( at first). If there is a Diamondbacks or a Suns game, leave the car at work and take the train to the game! Remember, if you go to an event at the US Airways Center, you ride for free, your ticket IS your light rail pass!
2. See a play, visit a museum: The 20 mile light rail line has a LOT to offer: the Heard Museum, Symphony Hall, Orpheum Theatre, Arizona Science Center and so many more great places to explore. The arts community is indeed alive and well.
3. Check out the Market: The Downtown Phoenix Market is a great place to visit during the week and on the weekend. Great things are happening there. Check out the open air market on Wednesdays and Saturdays, visit the store, check out the coffee shop and don’t miss Food Truck Fridays.
4. Grab Some Grub: Jump on the train and head either direction for a ton of great places to eat along the line. Just east of you at the Dorsey station, you will find Haji-Baba. Thank me later for this tip. Head west into Phoenix and don’t miss gems like The Roosevelt, Cibo, Maizie’s, Lux and so many more awesome spots. Of course, you will want to find a great place for a drink or a cup of coffee. That’s easy too with a TON of great choices.
5. Buy A Home: Yeah, it’s only a matter of time before many of these Allstate employees will want to live close to work. Imagine walking from your home to a light rail station and having the train drop you off at the front door of your office? How cool is that?!? Heck, there are some great places to live right here within the Mill Avenue District. Luckily, Tempe’s greatest real estate agent can help you out… You may want to find a place within about a 1/2 mile from a light rail station as that seems to be the most convenient for may people working along the line. Luckily, you have choices in Mesa, Tempe and in Phoenix from gorgeous condos to some amazing single family neighborhoods.
If you are working at Allstate, watch out for the guy in the pic below. He lives nearby and drives his cool bike past your building, often. Make sure and say hi when you see him. 🙂
Allstate is said to be moving in to the building by September of 2012. 66,000 square feet of office space means that a bunch of new faces will be working at Tempe Gateway. It will be nice to see some new faces in the area. I hope they know that their life is on the line…