Heading to the Insight Bowl or to the Tempe Block party? You know your best bet is to ride the light rail, right?
The City of Tempe has published their list of street closures for the Insight Bowl and Tempe Block Party festivities. Following is PART of the information from the city. Many other restrictions can/will be in place. They also have bus service changes and MUCH more information on their site. (no, I don’t have any other info and can’t make any changes)
The following streets will be closed from approximately 9 p.m. Dec. 30 to 8 a.m. Jan. 1.
• Mill Avenue between Rio Salado Parkway and University Drive will be closed in both directions.
• 3rd Street between Ash Avenue and Mill Avenue will be closed in both directions. Local access will be permitted to residents.
• 5th Street between Myrtle Avenue and Ash Avenue will be closed in both directions. Only local access will be permitted west of College Ave.
• 6th Street west of Forest Avenue will be closed in both directions.
• 7th Street west of Myrtle Avenue will be closed in both directions.
• College Avenue between 6th Street and Veterans Way/5th Street will be closed in both directions.
The following streets will be closed Dec. 31.
• Veterans Way will be closed in both directions between 6th Street and College Avenue from 9 a.m. until after the event ends.
• Westbound Rio Salado Parkway may be closed at McClintock Drive as needed to control traffic congestion.
For more information about the Insight Bowl or Block Party, visit www.insightbowl.com . For street restrictions and closures, visit www.tempe.gov/streetclosures. OR for more information about city services, call the City of Tempe Transit Department at (480) 350-2775.
If heading to the game or to the biggest party of the year, your best bet might be to use a Park and Ride lot and take light rail to the Mill Avenue station or to the Sun Devil Stadium station at Veterans Way and College Avenue.
If you are in to riding a bike, there is even a super cool place to keep it during the festivities… Check out what our friends at the Bicycle Cellar are doing… You can leave your bike with them until 2 am Dec. 31 and offering special valet bike parking for $5 per bike. The fee includes access to secure, indoor bicycle parking, restrooms and a changing area to freshen up. The Bicycle Cellar is located at the Tempe Transportation Center, Fifth Street and College Avenue in downtown Tempe. We know a LOT of people are using bikes to get to light rail, this might make sense for a few of you.
Regular and discounted tickets still available.