The long awaited Phoenix Sky Train at Sky Harbor Airport is here! May 8th, 2013 will be another historic day for transit in the valley as the automated Sky Train begins connecting millions of riders between the airport, the East Economy parking areas and the Metro light rail line.
Quick, efficient, environmentally friendly, fun to ride and FREE to use, the Phoenix Sky Train is a welcome addition to our transit system that will run 24 hours per day.
The Sky Train adds convenience to traveling to and from the airport. For travelers at Terminal 4, it is possible to be at the 44th St light rail station within 5 minutes using the train. Business travelers and tourists alike can get to a hotel along the line quickly and easily. For people smart enough to live near the line, their travel experiences just got another shot of convenience, as well. It’s a win-win situation for a TON of people.
Here are a few Phoenix Sky Train Facts:
- It will take 3 minutes to travel from the 44th Street station to East Economy Parking and another 2 minutes to Terminal 4
- Trains will run continuously in both directions and arrive as frequently as every 3 minutes at an average speed of 23 mph, but up to 38 mph
- 18 train cars will be assembled into 2 or 3 car trains.
- Each car holds 53 passengers
- The driverless train will run on an electrically powered, center-rail guideway, and facilities will be LEED certified
Another fun fact about the Sky Train: It is the first mass transit system in the world to pass over an active airport taxiway. Yep, you’ll be riding over the planes and will be 125’ above ground at one point on your ride over the taxiway. Don’t be squeemish, it will be fun! Heck, the “Disneyland effect” of the Sky Train is sure to bring out a lot of people just to check out the ride. At one point, you’ll even have kind of a “blind turn” where the train appears to go over the edge of its track. This system is truly an impressive and much needed addition to AZ travel.
“This Sky Train is going to redefine how people in Phoenix interact with their airport” – Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton
Take a look at these videos of the new Phoenix Sky train below, and enjoy the ride!
Phoenix Sky Train testing:
Mayor Stanton talks Phoenix Sky Train:
Walking tour of Phoenix Sky Train via Sky Harbor Airport: