Wow, it seems like a bunch of my friends are running in the marathon or 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Best of luck to each and every runner. It promises to be a great event! Below is some information from our friends at METRO and from the City of Tempe that just might make your morning a little easier to plan. There is also participant parking information available from the marathon’s site.
Download the P.F. Chang’s Spectator Parking Information map:
According to METRO, there will be service disruptions in place on Sunday morning due to the P.F. Chang’s Rock N Roll Marathon.
You can print out this METRO map showing the P F Changs Rock N Roll Marathon route.
Light rail service for P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon
Service disruption, but connection between race start and finish remains
PHOENIX, AZ — In accommodation of the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon and ½ Marathon on Sunday, Jan. 16, METRO light rail will not provide morning service to stations north of McDowell Rd. The following stations will be without service until approximately 10 a.m., or until the race has cleared:
- Montebello/19th Avenue
- 19th Avenue/Camelback Road
- 7th Avenue/Camelback Road
- Central Avenue/Camelback
- Campbell/Central Avenue
- Indian School/Central Avenue
- Osborn/Central Avenue
- Thomas/Central Avenue
- Encanto/Central Avenue
METRO will provide service to the rest of the line – McDowell/Central Avenue through Main/Sycamore – beginning at 5 a.m. METRO will offer 15-minute service before and during the race when traditional Sunday frequency is every 20 minutes. Additional trains will be deployed to support the demand at the race finish in Tempe. METRO has stations conveniently located within one-mile of the race start and directly adjacent to the race finish and expo occurring this Friday and Saturday.
The entire line will re-open once police have indicated the marathon has cleared and it is safe to proceed, approximately 10 a.m.
There will also be significant bus detours as a result of this event. Select routes in Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe will be impacted. All transit riders planning to ride on Sunday are strongly advised to consult www.valleymetro.org or call Customer Service at (602) 253-5000 for more information.
See below or you can also click here for a list of street closures in Tempe due to the P.F. Changs Rock N Roll Marathon.
Rock-N-Roll Marathon & Half Marathon – Jan. 16
• Sixth Street between Veterans Way and Packard Drive will be closed in both directions from 3:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Northbound Mill Avenue between Third Street and Rio Salado Parkway will be closed from 5:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Rio Salado Parkway between Ash Avenue and Mill Avenue will be closed in both directions from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Eastbound Rio Salado Parkway between Ash Avenue and Packard Drive and between Karsten Golf Course and McClintock Drive will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Southbound McClintock Drive between Loop 202 and University Drive will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16. Note: Southbound access to event parking and shuttle service will be provided until 8:30 a.m. between the Loop 202 and Rio Salado Parkway.
• Rural Road between Rio Salado Parkway and University Drive will be closed in both directions from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16. Southbound traffic will be permitted between Rio Salado Parkway and Sixth Street for Cornerstone businesses.
• Southbound Scottsdale Road traffic will be detoured onto eastbound and westbound Loop 202 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan 16.
• Southbound Mill Avenue/Van Buren Street between Tempe’s north city limit and Curry Road/Washington Street will be closed from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• The eastbound Loop 202 at McClintock Drive off-ramp will be closed from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 16.
• Washington Street between Center Parkway and Mill Avenue will be closed in both directions from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 16. Local access will be permitted eastbound to residents up to Center Parkway.
• One southbound lane will be open on McClintock Drive between McKellips Road and Curry Road (by way of detour on westbound Weber Drive and southbound Stadem Drive) from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan 16.
• Northbound Priest Drive between Washington Street and Center Parkway will be closed from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan 16.
• Desert Drive north of Washington Street will be closed in both directions from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan 16.
• 56th Street north of Washington Street will be closed in both directions from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan 16.
• University Drive between Veterans Way and McClintock Drive will be restricted to one lane in each direction from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• All eastbound traffic on Curry Road east of Miller Road will be forced to go south on McClintock Drive and then west onto westbound Loop 202 from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Jan 16.
• All traffic exiting the Loop 202 (eastbound & westbound) at Scottsdale Road will be required to turn northbound onto Scottsdale Road from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 16.
• The eastbound Loop 202 off-ramp will be closed at McClintock Drive from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 16.