Did you know there is still time to volunteer for the Metro "Grand Opening Celebrations? According to their web site, you only have until November 14th to register and become a "Metro Ambassador." As an ambassador, you will be asked to perform a combination of the following duties:
- Welcome riders in a friendly, helpful manner
- Explain the celebration adjacent to the station
- Provide information about train, schedules & fare vending
- Distribute METRO safety brochures or other printed materials
- Answer questions-(same questions may be repeated frequently)
- Assist with crowd control by asking people to queue into lines
- Assist in keeping people safely out of the way of the train and off tracks
- Assist in keeping platform clean and free of litter
- Assist in set-up and breakdown of event
If interested, you can start by filling out the Valley Metro Application Form. You should be aware that "All volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. Volunteer service hours may begin as early as 4 a.m. to as late as 10 p.m."
Here is a recent press release talking about volunteer opportunities:
PHOENIX — With celebrations across the 20-mile alignment and more than 200,000 people expected, METRO light rail is seeking volunteer support for the launch of Arizona’s first light rail system on December 26, 27 and 28, 2008.
Volunteers, or “METRO Ambassadors,” are needed to support the many aspects of a launch party this large. Ambassadors will be asked to perform such key duties as greeting and queuing passengers at station platforms; providing information about the days’ events and how the light rail system works; assisting in set-up and break-down of the events; and monitoring for safety.
METRO Ambassadors will receive proper training, including an up-close look at the METRO light rail system, a uniform as well as a “token” of METRO’s appreciation. So, if you’re a train fanatic, transportation enthusiast or just interested in being a part of this historic event, we have a grand opening post for you.
To sign up, visit www.metrolightrail.org/grandopening for the volunteer application and more detail on METRO’s grand opening plans. The deadline to apply is November 14.
A lot of people are really excited about our new light rail system and are looking forward to participating in this historic day. I met with my friend Stephanie (@ousooner44 on Twitter) recently and got a chance to talk about our upcoming light rail system and ask why she decided to volunteer. Thanks so much to Stephanie for taking the time to meet with me!