Without a doubt, people are riding the light rail after a Summer slow down. Yes, it’s still hot but, as we know, the recreational riders are rockin’ the Rail Life like crazy. If you are “bored” and looking for stuff to do, I’ll try to help with a few ideas:
Thursday, you should join me in checking out the “new” Market On Mill in Tempe. This weekly event is held on the plaza in front of the MADCAP Theater from 5-9PM and is being billed as a “carbon neutral” market. There will be local artisans, foodies, musicians, etc. I really believe this is going to grow into a great weekly event. Check it out! Conveniently, there is also a “tweetup” at BrandX tshirts that night to check out. For these, exit light rail at 3rd / Mill and walk South.
Friday, enjoy a ton of good stuff. Always check Phoenix Friday Night for cool stuff to do)
1) The inaugural Arizona Fall Frenzy comes to Tempe Beach Park running Sept 18th – 20th. Check out a wide variety of musical acts, water slides, arts and crafts booths, a gaming center, food vendors, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and much more. Take the 3rd / Mill light rail stop and head North.
2) Don’t miss “Night Rail” with the AZ Diamondbacks. This is going to be a LOT of fun. Come hang out in the super swanky Diamond Club at Chase Field for just $20.00 per ticket. This is a GREAT excuse to ride the light rail to a game and watch from an area where all of the “cool kids” will be hanging out. To purchase tickets for the game, just visit www.dbacks.com/groups and use the sign-in ID of rail and the password – life. You will get the discounted price of $20.00.
3) Parking Day: PARK(ing) Day is an annual, one-day, global event that promotes the importance of green and urban public spaces. The Park(ing) Day PHX spaces will be located adjacent to ASU Downtown, on 1st St. between Polk St. and Fillmore St. between 7 and 9 a.m. Easy access via light rail. Contact our friend, Yuri Artibise for more info.
4) NU ( Native + You) at the Heard Museum: Come hear local Latin/Jazz/Rock band Fatigo play at 7 p.m. in the main gallery at the Heard Museum. The museum is open with free admission from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Additional info
5)Rocky Horror Picture Show returns to Mill Avenue. WHEN: Friday, September 18th, 2009, seating at: 7:30pm (REPO!) and 10:30pm (ROCKY) WHERE: Madcap Theatres (formerly Centerpoint), 730 S Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ, 85281 (Just north of University road) COST: $9/per show.
Saturday: more fun stuff!
1) Downtown Phoenix Public Market: The market is located at 721 North Central Avenue which is 2 blocks south of the Central /Roosevelt light rail station. ( Actually, it is located between the Roosevelt / Central Ave and the Van Buren / Central Ave light rail stations.) I love this market… Check it out! Also, check out what they are adding in the future.
2) Another Diamondbacks game. This one has a Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers Concert afterwards. Kinda hard to say no to that. Well, it is hard to say no if your not going the night before or going to the Sun Devil’s game. Choices, choices!
3) ASU Football Game! Yep, the Sun Devils are home to face Louisiana-Monroe. The light rail just about drops you off at the front gate. ( Veterans Way and College station) Watch for some cool “railgating” events with Rail Life during upcoming games! This week, I think I’ll be hanging’ with the cool guys at BlueMedia. (they wrapped the light rail cars for the Suns!)
These are just a few of the things that come to mind. I’ll be filling you in on some more super-cool events along the line soon. See ya around!