This weeks Metro meeting to discuss the Mesa expansion was pretty interesting. I had a chance to speak with Kerry Fehr from the AZ Republic after the meeting and enjoyed her article in the paper yesterday explaining what was covered. I was glad she entered the following proposed cost and boarding information for the next extension as follows.
daily boardings by 2030 and estimated cost are:
• Two-lane bus rapid transit on Main Street, 2,500 and $62 million.
• Four-lane bus rapid transit on Main Street, 2,700 and $55 million.
• Two-lane light rail transit on Main Street, 4,300 and $223 million.
• Four-lane light rail transit on Main Street, 4,300 and $229 million.
• Light rail transit on First Street, 4,100 and $243 million.
• Light rail transit on First Avenue, 4,100 and $234 million.
I also recall a mention of 4 proposed stops being located at Alma School, Country Club, Center and at Horne for this section along with two Park and Ride lot's. Parking has been an issue in other cities as demand for rail grows. Currently, the parking for our new light rail system should be adequate at 3513 spaces for the first 20 mile section. Only time will tell what is decided going forward with the next section(s). I shot this short video of Wulf Grote, director of project development for Metro Light Rail, answering a question about parking.